Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail


June 9, 2011
This is what I feel like sometimes when I’m running…but the shoes are cute!
I have completed my first week of training!  Can I get a “Hale-freakin-luah”!!!  I have improved a little…down to a 14 minute mile!  Small children and the elderly with walkers are passing me…but that is fine, this is a process.  I have worked out a schedule of running every other day along with my regular work out schedule…I believe that failing to plan is planning to fail.  I also have an incredibly short attention span, so to keep bright, shiny objects from distracting me, I put it down on paper and refer to it often…see, it’s on my bulletin board above my computer…along with the VCM course map! 
Now THAT’S motivation!!
The running schedule I have adopted, for those of you keeping score at home, is a plan to get me ready to run a 5k race by the end of the summer.  It has me running 5 minutes, walking 1 minute and doing this 5 times in a row.  That is why it says 5/ 1 x 5 on the schedule.  At first I thought it was a fraction equation, which almost caused me to give up on the whole thing…because I’m not really strong in math…Ok, it causes me to drool on myself and stare off into space with a goofy look on my face.  Anyway…this schedule will be increased each week until I am running for a full 30 minutes…and the trumpets will blare and confetti will come streaming down.  Unfortunately, I have only been able to run the 5 minutes 3 times and the walking breaks are 2 minutes in duration (5/ 2 x 3 = SAD)…because,  I.  Can’t.  Breathe.  Which is kinda a problem…when you want to run a marathon.  After a conversation with my dear friend Carissa (who is a medical wizard…really, she’s had training…has fancy documents to prove it!) it turns out I have an iron deficiency and am anemic…hemoglobin levels and iron stores are in the basement…coincidently where the treadmill is, but this is not helping.  So I will be adding supplements and changing up my diet tout suite!!!…and will be strong to the finish ‘cause I eats me spinach! Hey, I yam what I yam…

1 comment:

  1. This is great Nicole... reading your blog has been the most entertainment I've had all day! Why? Because I am right there with you... every time I run, I am running just to make it to the next mail box with my enormous dangling logs for legs that don't seem to want to move forward!!! You go girl!!!! I think it is an awesome goal and am always moved when at the VCM to see all those runners, every shape, size, and age crossing the finishing line having run 26.2 miles...in the same day!!!!

    ReplyDelete